"If you can't be happy being single, you won't be happy in a relationship for long." -Aditya Gandhi
People that are not happy with themselves often come into relationship with expectations. They expect that their partner will make them happy. They project the things that they don’t accept themselves onto the other person and sooner or later it becomes a problem. It becomes something that divides the couple, separating more and more, pulling apart, away from each other.
To have a happy, long lasting relationship, based on true love, you have to first accept yourself fully, be happy with who you are, so you can come into relationship with no expectations, giving rather than wanting to have and possess.
Same applies to the process of being single. If you are single then you are also in a relationship with yourself.
How can you be happy being single?
- I would start with gratitude. Be grateful for the things you have in your life. The small things and the big things. Think (or write down) of few things that you’re grateful for when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Do that when you walk, when you’re bored or unhappy.
- Spend some time with yourself, get to know yourself. Find out what do you like doing and do it.
- Avoid distraction. Do you often reach for your phone while waiting in the queue or elevator? Be present instead. Observe, feel. Observe your environment. Try to know the human pattern.
- Eat your food consciously. Feel the taste instead of thinking of something else. Appreciate your food.
- Stop looking for happiness outside of yourself. Do you often think: “I’ll be happy once I get this or that”? Decide to be happy, be happy with what you have, otherwise you won’t be happy when you get more of it. Very strong words. If you understand this nothing can make you unhappy.
Understand that no one else can make you happy. Happiness comes from within. You have to allow yourself to be happy.
Gratitude, appreciation for what you have and who you are is a good way to start.